Thursday, November 14, 2013

Lighter Philly Cheesesteaks

 
I have a weakness for hot sandwiches, especially when it's cold outside.  There's something so comforting about bread, meat, cheese, vegetables, and more cheese.  When I found this recipe for lightened up cheesesteaks, I knew it was a must-try.  Sure enough, the sandwiches were great, and I knew I'd be making them again.  I promised myself that when I did, I'd take pictures to share with you!  If you're looking for warm comfort food that doesn't leave you feeling heavy and gross, here you go.  Happy cold weather, everyone!
 
Lighter Philly Cheesesteaks
chefjennylyn.com
 
1 flank steak, trimmed (12 oz.)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
4 hoagie rolls
Reduced-fat Provolone cheese slices
 
Thinly slice beef across the grain.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add 1 tsp. olive oil to pan, and sauté beef 2 minutes or until it loses its pink color, stirring constantly.
Remove beef from pan, and cover to keep warm.
Add remaining 1 tsp. oil to pan.  Add onion, and sauté 3 minutes.  Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and garlic.  Sauté 6 minutes.
Return beef to pan with vegetables, and sauté until everything is thoroughly heated, and vegetables are tender.  Remove from heat, and stir in Worcestershire and soy sauces. 
Hollow out the top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell.  Fill with a serving of beef mixture, and top with cheese.  Place under oven broiler until cheese melts.
 

The onion slicing method: Half whole onion.  Cut off bottom, but keep the fuzzy end.  Slice onion vertically.  Cut off the fuzzy end.  Hello, beautiful slices you didn't chase all over the cutting board.  Speaking of that, this is my Large Cutting Board, and that's my 5" Santoku Knife from the Forged Cutlery Collection.  Power team, if you will.

When I've got ingredients going in a recipe at the same time, I like having them in the same bowl.  I rinsed my mushrooms in the smallest of my Stainless Colanders, and I put that in the 2-Qt. Stainless Mixing Bowl.  Then I added my bell peppers once they were sliced, and I'm pressing my garlic directly on top.  No peeling with the Pampered Chef Garlic Press!


To make slicing the beef easier, place in in the freezer fifteen minutes before you're ready for it.  Just stick it in there before you get your other ingredients out and prepped, and you'll be ready for it at the perfect time.  Those few minutes will make a big difference when you're trying to get thin slices.  Again, Large Cutting Board and 5" Santoku Knife.


Last step: Sauces.  The Pinch Bowls are so great for things like this because they've got little pour spouts on them.  (Rabbit chase: The lids for these bowls are just so cute with their little beak looking things that fit around the pour spouts!)  I'm using a spoon from the Measuring Spoon Set, and I'm putting both sauces together at the same time since they'll be added in one step.


Everything is prepped and ready to go, so this is going to be super simple to cook.  Beef is on the Large Cutting Board, sauces are in a Pinch Bowl, mushrooms, peppers, and garlic are in the Small Stainless Colander, onion is in a 2-Cup Prep Bowl, and olive oil is in the Dripless Oil Bottle.


I love the Dripless Oil Bottle because it truly is impossible to drip with it.  The pour is manageable, so you don't have to worry about accidentally dumping 1/4 of oil in your pan when you were aiming for a teaspoon.  This is the 10" Skillet from the Executive Cookware Collection, and it's my go-to pan for most things.  The size is awesome, and the sides are tall enough to keep things from flying when I get crazy stirring.


Bamboo Pepper Grinder!  Freshly ground salt and pepper will make a huge difference in the flavor of your food, and I love these grinders because you can see exactly how much you have left.  Notice I really need to refill this one...


Get those onions in there after the beef, and let them sweat a few minutes before adding peppers and mushrooms.


It just makes me happy to have a skillet full of beautiful vegetables with very little oil.  That's another benefit of the Executive Cookware, one that directly impacts your health.  Less oil and butter because you're not using it to keep your food from sticking to the pan.


Alright - here we go!  I'm slicing a hoagie roll on the Cutting Board (not my favorite large since it just had beef on it), and I'm using the Bread Knife from the Forged Cutlery Collection.  Let me just tell you that you don't know what you're missing by not having a bread knife until you get one.  Then it's kind of like, "Wow - I don't mind slicing loaves of French bread anymore!"  Once you've sliced almost but not all the way through your bread, hollow it out.  Trust me - lots of calories saved here!  (Put the inside bread in the freezer for bread crumbs. Pulse frozen bread through your food processor, and stop buying bread crumbs at the store.)


This is on the Medium Bar Pan, and it's about to become crazy delicious!  About a minute under the broiler, and I've got a sandwich that looks and tastes like $7.00.

One thing I really like about this recipe is that you can just make one sandwich at a time.  Since I work from home, it's nice to have things in my arsenal that are simple, delicious, and produce leftovers for another day.  Score!

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464



No comments:

Post a Comment