Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dak Bokkeum (Korean Stewed Chicken)

 
 
A good Korean recipe is a sure win in my kitchen.  When Cooking Light featured an article in which a Korean woman shared some of her recipes, I was thrilled.  Then I made this, and I was even more thrilled.  This is true Korean food that's made with a healthy dose of gochujang (Korean chile paste), and it's delicious!  Do you enjoy ethnic food?  Are you attending an international potluck soon?  Are you seeking to woo a special Korean man?  Make this.
 
Dak Bokkeum (Korean Stewed Chicken)
chefjennylyn.com
 
1/3 cup gochujang (Korean chile paste)
1 cup sliced green onions
2 1/2 tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
2 tbsp. minced peeled ginger
2 tbsp. dark sesame oil
1 tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
 
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced into strips
1/3 cup water
 
Rice or Asian noodles to serve
 
Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir in chicken.  Cover and marinate 30 minutes.
 
Bring 1/3 cup water to a boil in a 4-qt. pot.  Add chicken mixture, and bring to a simmer.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.  Uncover, and simmer 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.  Serve over rice or Asian noodles.
 

 

When you're talking about slicing a cup worth of green onions, it's nice to have a good knife.  Enter: 5" Santoku Knife from the Forged Cutlery Collection.  It's my favorite, as you probably already know if you've ever read one of my posts.


All of my prepped ingredients are on the Large Cutting Board.  I've got Adjustable Measuring Spoons, the Easy Read Measuring Cups, an Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup, standard Measuring Spoons, a Kitchen Scraper, and a Vegetable Peeler working hard.


The Measure-All Cup is a Pampered Chef staple.  This thing is amazing!  Load it with a sticky ingredient, pop it out, and scrape it off.  I'm using the Skinny Scraper and the Classic Batter Bowl on this mixture.


Stir all of those beautiful ingredients together, and add the chicken.  This is one of those times I'm really glad the Batter Bowl includes a lid!


Don't skip the 30 minutes to marinate the chicken.  Trust me on this - totally worth the wait!


I'm using the 4-Qt. from the Executive Cookware Collection.  Also, I'm assuming you know this, but put the lid on when you want to bring water to a boil.  It significantly reduces the wait!

 
Notice how the Classic Scraper gets all of that marinade off the sides of the bowl.  Love my scrapers! I can almost taste this through the computer screen...
 
Let me make a couple of quick notes about this recipe.  One: It's spicy.  Two: It doesn't make enough to serve a crowd, so double the recipe if you're inviting company for dinner.  Three: Tell me if you make this!  Four: Enjoy.
 
Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment